Thursday, September 25, 2008

As Good As It Gets

I just read a blog entry by polymer artist Kathleen Dustin about the shallowness of Fashion Week in New York City, and her being uncomfortable about her polymer purses and jewelry being sold to that market.

I commented on her blog that her polymer work inspires me:

"So many of us have been lifted to greater heights by seeing your work. At the end of the movie As Good As It Gets, Jack Nicholson said to Helen Hunt: 'You make me want to be a better man.' Well, Kathleen, the inspiration of seeing your polymer creations makes me want to be a better artist."

So my point is to let the shallow folks be shallow, there's not much you can do for them. Those depth-less souls will carry her purses or wear her jewelry just because they saw it on Madison Avenue. But although Kathleen readily teaches her techniques to those wanting to learn, she (and the rest of us) may never know the full range of influence she has had on polymer artists to think big and do their very best work.

No comments: